exLED Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

Oil Change

As you may know I just bought a 2013 Kia Sorento EX. I was reading the owner's manual and was quite surprised to find that the suggested oil and filter change was 7,500 miles not the usual 3,000 miles. Now I'm in a quandary because I was going to put in synthetic oil to extend my oil changes to 7,500 miles. Since the warranty requires oil and filter change at 7,500 miles is there any point?

Admin & Founder
    Blog Entries
    I have always had synthetic oil in Melanie and will continue that tradition in Blizzard but I will wait until the first oil change is due to complete the switch...I get my oil changes at Costco, anyone have view and opinions regarding this? curious as I had no issues and you can't beat the price for an oil change with synthetic and filter...
    ------------
    Admin & Founder
    2013 EX V6 AWD Pearl White - Blizzard
    2004 LX Clear Silver - Melanie - Traded for Blizzard but she lives on in my heart.
    ------------
    Follow us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook
    Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
    Pin us on Pinterest

Sorento Nation Super Moderator
    Cheap oil changes are not always the best. Many oil change places dont give the vehicle a full checkover. Pull the wheels and check brakes, spare tire pressure, lube all hinges doors, trunk, and locks, fluid checks, check the belts, etc.... Many people think an oil change is just an oil change, but it needs to be more than that, its a good time to check the whole vehicle over and see what else is wearing. Its a good upsell for the shop and more importantly, when the vehicle leaves the shop, the owner knows exactly what condition its in.
    Former Master Auto Tech
    Customs Shop Owner
    MECP & ASE Certified
    www.facebook.com/SuburbanCustomAuto

I should clarify, I'm not sure if costco does that, but if they dont, its something you should be doing every 7500 miles.
    Former Master Auto Tech
    Customs Shop Owner
    MECP & ASE Certified

Admin & Founder
    Blog Entries

Oil Change

Oil change and rotate tires and check tire pressure(if purchased at Costco). I always bring it to the dealer shortly after to have it checked over other fluids topped up and everything lubed. I should have clarified also. My dealer doesn't do fully synthetic oil changes that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------------
    Admin & Founder
    2004 LX Clear Silver - Melanie - Traded for Blizzard but she lives on in my heart.
    ------------
    Follow us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook
    Pin us on Pinterest

Maybe I wasn't clear with my question. When my previously owned vehicles recommended oil and filter changes at 3,000 miles I used synthetic oil to increase my oil and filter changes to 7,500 miles; the increase in miles justified the added expense. Now my new Sorento recommends oil and filter change at 7,500 miles (which surprised me). Questions - If I use synthetic oil can I increase my oil and filter changes to 18,750 miles and if so, how will that affect my warranty?

Admin & Founder
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't go beyond the recommended intervals, I'm a bit concerned actually with conventional oil at these interval recommendations so it will give me peace of mind keeping the same oil change intervals with fully synthetic oil. Hope that helps!
    ------------
    Admin & Founder
    ------------
    Follow us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook
    Pin us on Pinterest

most conventional oil is a synthetic blend these days, 7500 miles is nothing for the new oils. I wouldnt go past 10k with synthetic. You have two ways of contaminating oil. Metal particulate coming off of the moving parts, and the blow-by from the cylinders. the amount of blow by on newer engines is much less than on older ones. Engines are being designed with tighter tolerances, and the rings are being made of newer materials. This means less contaminating of the oil. However, you will still have metal particulate in there. I would never go past 15k on an oil change, even with synthetic. The 3k rule was set during a time when engines were sloppy and oils were un-refined. The amount of additives to deal with contamination and extend life were next to none back then, now there are literally hundreds of additives in every bottle of oil to deal with everything from anti-foaming to making it bond with engine parts on a molecular level. Oil is a drastically different animal than it used to be, because of this, you can go longer between changes.

In my opinion, this should have append years ago. I would not put off getting it changed at 7500 miles though, if you forget an oil change at 3k and go till 6k, its no big deal, if you forget 7500miles and go to 15k, that is a big issue.
    Former Master Auto Tech
    Customs Shop Owner
    MECP & ASE Certified

Sorento Nation Lifetime Member

That's weird. My dealer set the reminder sticker 8000 km after my last oil change (which translate to 5000 miles top) and not the 12,000 km (7500 miles).

In Most dealerships, the tech prints the reminder sticker. Where they work on both new and old vehicles, they use a general rule that is safe for all vehicles. The book may say 7500, but, if most of the other vehicles they work on call for 5000, they will make the lower number the general rule so there are no mix-ups. Most dealerships are still doing the 3000 rule. When in doubt, go by the book.

The sticker is usually just a general rule of thumb.
    Former Master Auto Tech
    Customs Shop Owner
    MECP & ASE Certified