OEM KIA Superstore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in 4WD Low...

Sorento Nation Lifetime Member

Stuck in 4WD Low...

Ok, first off I'd like to say that I've seen many posts about this issue. However, I've isolated my problem to a specific problem that I think warrants a new post regarding my particular situation. I have a 2003 Sorento EX that only has the Auto and 4wd low switch. When I put it in Neutral and switch it to 4wd low, it goes in no problem. But when I switch it back toAuto, it stays stuck in 4 Low and won't come out and the drivetrain lightblinks on the dash. I have an OBD2 scanner tool and donít get any codes. So, I pulled the small electric motor off of the transfer case and can turn the rod clockwise until it stops and that essentially puts it back into Auto. I've tested the motor with a 12 volt power supply (battery charger) and it will turnboth clockwise and counterclockwise, no problem. But when it's connected to the vehicle, it will only go into 4 Low, turning counterclockwise looking at the triangular rod coming out of the transfer case. It won't go back to Auto, which is when the motor should turn clockwise. Iím thinking itís the TCCM, but would hate to throw $150 at it if itís actually something else.
    Brief history on my rig: When I bought it I didnít know anything about Sorentoís. I had a Hyundai Santa Fe that got wrecked. So I got the Sorento with the insurance money. I have loved it ever since, but was not impressed with the 4wd. I have gotten stuck several times with only the driverís side rear wheel spinning. I finally researched enough to find the elusive fuse#13 was blown. I put a new fuse in, and viola! The TOD worked great and it even went into 4wd Low. But it wonít come back out. For only $150, I think itís worth replacing the TCCM, but thought I would ask around first. By the way, the Stealership (I love that phrase!) wants $150 to look at it and is already telling me the motor is bad, even though they haven't seen it and I can make it turn both ways with an external power source.

I seem to recall a warning in the transfer case assembly instructions that says (something like) 'the default position of the TC is 2WD position and the triangular shaft must be in that position before re-assembly of the shift motor'. Have you attempted to remove the shift motor from the TC BUT use the vehicle electrics (power and dash switch) to test the motor function? Possible a bad electrical connection? (Blown fuse because ....... ??) Typically that fuse is removed to mask a fault in the transfer case - maybe someone took it a step further and put a bad fuse in to hide that action.
    I drive a Diesel -
    I'm all Torque
    http://info.smt-quality.co.uk/Titan

I bought it from a small used car dealer, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did put a blown fuse in to mask this issue.
    I have removed the motor and used the dash switch to test its operation. It will turn when put in Low but won't go back and the drivetrain (looks kinda like =~=) light blinks to the right of the speedo. So I use the battery charger to turn it back. It's not getting the reverse voltage on the motor to turn it back to normal.

So to confirm, when you removed it and tested it by hand, the motor will successfully spin both directions (hi to low). But installed on the Sorento, but not attached to the t-case, it still fails to switch out of 4 low?

That second post where you said it won't switch back when uninstalled throws me. Immediately I thought your diagnosis was spot on and you needed a new TCCM, probably just worn out and not strong enough to push back to high. But now it makes me wonder if you indeed have another issue.

In your shoes, I'd pull a used TCCM off another TOD model out of a junk yard. Won't cost $150, and gives you a chance to see if you can duplicate the symptom in a different TCCM. If you get the junk yard one, and the problem persists, at least you didn't spend $150 on a part that wasn't needed.

Welcome to the board!!!

2005 LX 4x4 with manual transmission: '07+ grill, custom ram intake, custom front lift pucks close to 4" of lift, 2" Daystar spacer lift kit for the rear, 265/75 General Grabbers on stock rims, custom front bumper with front mount hitch, custom engine skid plate, custom rock sliders with integrated steps, Pioneer stereo connected to factory amp.

Thanks!
    What I meant by uninstalled was the motor was connected via the wire connector, but not bolted to the transfer case so could watch it turn when I moved the switch. It turns into Lo but won't turn back into Hi.
    The schematics look like the tccm controls the voltage to the motor. Wasn't sure if the tccm can have just one function break, like not reversing the voltage to turn it to Hi, or if it just quits all functions and is dead. Meaning it either all works or nothing works.
    Ok so it sounds like the first step is replacing the tccm. I'm in Tacoma Washington and can't seem to find any yards that have any Sorentos. The used tccm on eBay looked to be around $150. I'll look harder knowing it shouldn't be that much.
    Thanks, glad to be here.

is there a different throw or switch to put in back into auto then there is to put it in low? Switch maybe since it works with external power source? Switch has to throw the TCCM a signal to let it know what it's supposed to do. If the TCCM doesn't see that signal, it won't try and put it back to auto. A posting of the schematic would be awesome if you could do that.
    2013 Sorento LX AWD GDI
    2012 Sorento SX AWD

It would be handy if OP could check for DTC (error) code and give some more feedback. There are several codes for the TOD transfer case system which might give a better clue as to what is wrong. (P1725 - TOD Control Module Error) Might save some searching for parts. (I know you posted 'no codes' but these may be Kia specific and not show on standard OBDII.)
    Last edited by Gee6; 08-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    I drive a Diesel -
    I'm all Torque
    http://info.smt-quality.co.uk/Titan

That's not a bad suggestion. My opinion of Stealerships right now is lower than low, but they should be able to check for codes pretty cheaply. Especially considering the 4wd system is blinking when it gives the error, it should give a diagnostic code reflective of the error light.

2005 LX 4x4 with manual transmission: '07+ grill, custom ram intake, custom front lift pucks close to 4" of lift, 2" Daystar spacer lift kit for the rear, 265/75 General Grabbers on stock rims, custom front bumper with front mount hitch, custom engine skid plate, custom rock sliders with integrated steps, Pioneer stereo connected to factory amp.

ucinn- I'll post the schematic I'm looking at asap.
    On the subject of error codes: I use an ElmScan scan tool and ScanXL software connected to my laptop. Is there a Kia specific scan tool or software I should be using instead? I thought it was odd I got no codes when the transfer case was in a 'defective' state. I also noticed that the software doesn't register the Mass Air Flow (MAF) or the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP). It will throw an error code when I disconnect those sensors, but won't read the settings when running in a normal state. Seems like I don't have the right tool or software...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Do the 4wd light blinking in some specific pattern? Par ex 3 times short and one time long. This is the way for showing the error codes in this case. I got the table of this codes. Will post them soon as i found them on my archive.

DTC PATTERN
    Code Output pattern Item
    001 TCCM
    010 Shift motor
    011 Magnetic synchronizer clutch
    100 Speed sensor
    101 Hub solenoid valve
    110 Select switch
    111 Motor position sensor